Milk Chocolate Brownies
1 – 9″ pan | adapted from Gourmet, Feb 2007
1/2 cup butter
8 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp instant coffee powder
2 large eggs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1. With oven rack in middle position, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9″ square baking pan.
2. Melt butter and half of chocolate in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring, until smooth. Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm. Stir in brown sugar, instant coffee powder and vanilla. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, until mixture is glossy and smooth.
3. Whisk together remaining ingredients, then stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in remaining chocolate. Spread batter in pan and bake until a wooden pick or skewer comes out with a few moist crumbs adhering, 25 to 30 minutes.
Milk Chocolate Ganache
1 cup | adapted from Rose Levy Berenbaum
6 oz. (1 cup) milk chocolate
1/4 cup heavy cream
1. In the top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate almost fully, stirring often. Add the heavy cream and stir to incorporate into the chocolate until smooth. It might look too thin but it will thicken up to a fudge-like consistency when cooled.
2. Spread warm ganache over fully cooled – chilled is better if you have time – brownies and refrigerate to set. Serve either straight from the fridge or at room temperature.2010-04-14