Sponge Toffee Candy or Seafoam Candy1 1/4 cup sugar 1/3 cup corn syrup 1/3 cup honey 1/3 cup water 2 teaspoons baking soda, finely sifted chocolate, for coating (optional)
1. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, honey, and water, and using a wooden spoon, stir constantly over low heat until the sugar is fully dissolved.
2. Put candy thermometer into the mixture to monitor temperature, increase the heat and boil mixture to exactly 270 degrees F (132C).
3. Reduce heat to as low as possible and maintain the temperature 270F for exactly 15 minutes.
4. It is very important that the temperature of the mixture does not fluctuate; if the temperature begins to rise, remove the pan from heat occasionally to reduce the heat.
5. After the temperature has been maintained for 15 minutes, remove the pan from heat, take out the thermometer, and allow the bubbles to subside.
6. Using a wooden spoon, quickly stir in finely sifted baking soda.
7. Immediately and quickly pour the mixture into a large oiled baking dish.
8. (Please note, important: the pouring step requires strength and you’ll be handling extremely hot liquids; if you’re not strong and agile enough you might want to leave that step to a strong and able assistant.) When candy has completely cooled, remove from pan and break into pieces and dip into chocolate if desired.